Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Ecuador: Day 5 - NWC

(Photos to come soon)

We got to sleep in this morning, with a 5:30 breakfast. So of course I woke up at 4. Ha!
I had tried to update the blog last night, but the internet went down around 9:00, so I guess I subconsciously woke up early to finish posting. Sadly, the interwebs were still unavailable.  A bonus over the last place is that coffee is available early.  So at 5 I went to the main lodge and had a nice cup.  At 5:30 we had breakfast (a light one this time, since Gary is making me food-conscious) and met with Andrew and Jorge, our new local guide, at the docks at 6:00. We then got in a canoe and crossed the lake and paddled to a trailhead. 

From there we hiked about 600 yards when Jorge decided it was too wet and we needed rubber boots after all. He radioed in our shoe sizes and went to meet the canoe with our boots. Twenty minutes later he was back with our boots, a half size small for Andrew and myself as that was all they had on hand, but they fit fine. From there we tromped off into the woods in search of fame and fortune, or if lacking those, birds. 

Jorge is a workhorse. He's got a gold tooth and tattoos and is as old as dirt (I can say that because I'm old now - just kidding - he's probably in his 50's), but he's a great guide. He speaks about as much English as I do Spanish, and this guy sees everything. 

About 30 minutes into our hike, it started raining. We carried on for a while, then stopped under a huge tree near where a Black-necked Red Cotinga lived to wait out the rain. While the three of us talked about weather and shot videos of weather, Jorge went out and FOUND THE COTINGA. Despite the heavy drizzle and complete lack of avian activity, Jorge would not be denied. The rain let up and we went and saw the cotinga. Very cool. 

**rain video here later**

After finding a few other birds around, it started raining again, this time with more purpose. So we decided to put on ponchos. Then we decided to head back to the lodge early. Then we decided to trudged at a quick pace in concentrated silence all the way back to the canoe. Which is where we met the poor guy who was bringing us our picnic lunch we'd decided to cancel without telling anyone. Fortunately, he had our canoe with him and headed back to the lodge arriving around noon. 

A few words on rubber boots: they're really great until they're really not. We slogged through mud, puddles, small streams, etc. without a single drop or smudge of water or dirt getting on our feet. Although they don't offer much in the way of comfort or padding, I assume this is so you're very conscious of every rock or branch upon which one might step. Sadly, they do have one major design issue: water - especially rain - can get in the top. About 20 minutes into our ~2.5 mile (~2200 JLs) march, my right foot started to squish. 10 minutes later, my left foot joined the party. By the time we took our boots off at our luxury cabaƱa, Dad and I both had to dump out boots out on the walk by the patio and it raised the level of the lake by at least 0.000002 JLs (~.00014 inches) - but to be fair, it's a big lake. Our socks from that day have been hung out on the railing ever since, and may never be dry again. Dad has decided that unless some laundry related miracle happens before we leave, he'd rather throw them away than risk contaminating his suitcase with his. I, of course, am far more environmentally conscious and will bring mine home, wet or not, carefully hidden in Dad's suitcase. 

Anyway, we had a tasty lunch and then a shower and a nap. By 3:30 the rain had let up, so we met Andrew and Jorge at the dock. 

And here are a few words on canoes: They're great. Very simple, quiet, easy travel, and one of the best ways to get around here. I dig canoes. But - and I mean butt - my butt is killing me. I sat on a crappy plane seat from Denver to Dallas. Then sat on a crappy airport seat until I sat on a crappy plane seat again to Quito. Then a pleasant car seat for 20 minutes to the hotel. Then at last a few hours of respite. Then wooden seat at breakfast followed by nice car seat to airport then crappy airport - you get the idea. It feels like 90% of my time here has been sitting on my butt on some crappy wooden seat or another. Sure, they put foam pads down, and that's great for 45 minutes until all the foam is compressed. After that though, it's rough sailing, me mateys. Oh, and did I mention that the canoe ride to and from the main river is two hours long? Each way?? Yes, my butt is sore. 

So we took the canoe out for a look down the creek. Three and a half butt aching hours later, we'd found some cool birds like the zig zag heron, the tawny something screech owl, and that other one with the wings and eyes. I'm pretty sure it was brown. Maybe gray. You know the one... The dawn treader. No! The sun grebe. I guess I can remember some of these names. 

Anyway, a delicious (light) dinner later, then I was off to wrestle with the Internet while Dad reviewed his photos for a while before I fell asleep. 

6 comments:

  1. Great entry! Birding is not for sissies
    (And just pretend Marcia's name is not on this!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! First Dad, then Marcia - we really need to help you find your own identity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok since I have the option to sign out, i'm guessing it means I am signed in and so this message should get published

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoopee!! ok lunch is over - get back to work

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the one comment that I have now "published" three times is the hair - Janice says it's cut, I say it's wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, you're in matrimonial harmony - it's both.

      Delete